Sunshine, is that you? According to nationwide weather reports us Brits could be in for three months of blissful heat. In our book that spells pastel co-ordinated outfits, terrace BBQ’s and plenty of spring cocktails. Enjoy the bank holiday with our guide to the most tempting spring cocktails.
Strawberry and Basil Mojito
We’re not sure what it is about strawberries and basil together but just like chocolate and chilli, it works. We don’t need any excuse to stock up on strawberries and this recipe is simple to whip up for a post-work sip or evening in with the girls.
-Handful of fresh strawberries
-Large bunch of basil, stalks removed
-Decorative straws or embellishments *optional
1. Slice the strawberries into quarters and place into a tall glass, add your basil and flavoured syrup.
2. Using the back of a wooden spoon pummel the mixture together and intensify the flavour.
3. Add ice if desired.
4. Finish off with a single measure of white rum and soda water.
Serve with: Chocolate covered pretzels, green olives and mozzarella topped bruschetta
Blood Orange Margaritas
Blood oranges have an amazing sweet taste which works really well in this modern take on the traditional margarita. With March through to May being prime blood orange season, there’s never a better time to put your twist on this signature drink.
-½ cup of blood orange juice
-2 generous tablespoons of lime juice plus lime wedges for garnish
-3 single measures of Cointreau
-4 tablespoons of tequila
-Pink food colouring
- Moisten the rim of the glass with water.
- Mix together a drop of food colouring with sugar then turn the glass upside down and dip it in the sugar. Twist to get more sugar on the glass if desired.
- Pour 1 ½ measures of Cointreau and 2 tablespoons of tequila into each glass.
- Next add your blood orange juice (you can either squeeze this yourself or buy freshly squeezed blood orange juice) and lime juice.
- Stir the concoction and garnish with lime umbrellas. Ta-da!
- Serve With: Salsa topped nachos, mortadella and cucumber feta rolls.
We’d love to know which spring recipes are tickling your fancy this April. Tweet us your spring favourite’s @Fiorelli_Handbags.